Monday, December 17, 2007

The Toy Maker of Jamal

Hello World!

What a wonderful day! Anita, Nora (volunteer from Canada) & I did a mega shopping trip today. It started off at the clothes shop where we ordered 50 bathrobes, 50 pairs of gloves, 16 pairs of jeans & 14 t-shirts.

Then we stopped to price out Christmas trees and toys at Namaste market and flooring for the new shed/schoolroom at a different store.

We saw Bisha (the regular taxi driver for the orphanage) looking for a fare so we were very happy to flag him down to take us to Jamal. On my shopping list was 22 soft toys. After my experience with the slippers, I wasn't holding my breath. After 2 shops, I was starting to think I was going to spend all day there. The toys were of poor quality and the faces were a little scary.

I detoured into a stationery store and as I came out, noticed giant stuffed monkeys and dogs hanging out of a window across the street. After asking around on how to get to the second floor of the building, we ventured down an alley and up a dark stairwell.

We walked into a toy making shop. We had found the toy maker of Jamal. I was thrilled beyond belief.

He told us to pick all toys we needed and then we could discuss the price. I was a little tentative but after picking all 22 toys we needed, he started listing of the prices. 80 rps, 110 rps ... I was trying so hard not to show how happy I was. The toys at Namaste market started at 250 rps and were not half as well made as these ones.

So we now have 22 toys, sitting in the storage room waiting to be wrapped and sent off to their new "parents" to be loved and hugged and to keep their "parents" safe through the darkness of the night.

I truly cannot wait to see their faces on Christmas morning.

Tonight Tom and I came home from Papa's House to the 2nd home to the sounds of Jose Felliciano singing Feliz Navidad and the kids jumping up and down thrilled at the sight of their first Christmas tree.

Little victories are oh so sweet here in Nepal.

Take care, keep warm and we send all our love,
Fi

No comments: