Friday, December 21, 2007

Gifts From the Heart


Dear World,

This morning was like every other morning in Dhapasi. We had tea and biscuits with the kids in our house and then got ready to take on the day. We headed up the hill to walk the other kids back down the hill for school.

On arrival at the yard, Binu told me my neck looked cold. She showed me her scarf and asked if I knew how to make one. I said yes, I know how to knit and crochet but her scarf was very pretty. She mentioned that her mum had made it for her but she had another one in her room and this one was for me.

I was just blown away. Just the day before she had handed over her last half handful of makai (Nepalese corn kernels that have been burnt & a few get popped along the way) that her mother had sent down from Gorkha with a volunteer who had visited her village. These are all extremely precious treasures for Binu, yet she is more than willing to share with a virtual stranger.

I was telling Tom about the makai and he stated that he is always amazed that the children with the least are the most eager to share.

I tried to return Binu's scarf, not because I did not appreciate the gesture but because it was too large a treasure to accept. Instead of taking it back, she proceeded to tie it into a tighter knot around my neck with the instruction of not to take it off. The only way I know how to repay such generosity is to crochet her a new blue scarf since it is her favourite colour.

Binu's generosity outstrips her remarkable athletic ability. I am almost almost convinced that the kids from Gorkha are born with an extra athletic gene. She is part of the group who wakes up for their 5:30 am karate class. We have been to watch the karate class and let me tell you, it is C--O--L--D at that time of day!!

I tear up every time I think about this morning and I know I will cherish this little blue scarf for many many years to come.

With a happy heart,

Fiona

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

such a wonderful post. Yes, kids are the most beautiful here. How nice you enjoyed makai too! Where did you walk stroll in dapashi area? Hope you had a nice time there!!

With best wishes,

Ruben

Anonymous said...

such a wonderful post. Yes, kids are the most beautiful here. How nice you enjoyed makai too! Where did you walk stroll in dapashi area? Hope you had a nice time there!!

With best wishes,

Ruben