Monday, October 27, 2008

Puja at Pashuphatinath


Having fun at Pashuphatinath
Clockwise: Kabita, Kabita, Apsara, Puja, Yasoda


A very happy Tihar to you all. Life is very noisy here in Nepal, with firecrackers and fireworks and prayers.

It is the celebration of lights and Laxmi, the god of wealth, watches over all the celebrations.

Our Kabita had been wanting to go to puja (worship) this week, so I decided to go big and take the girls to Pashuphatinath.

It was wonderful to have Kabita Karki as a guide, since she her family lives in Pashuphatinath.



Getting a blessing from the Monkey god, at the "Entrance For The Hindus Only" sign

Only Hindus are allowed into temples, but ever since arriving in Nepal, I've been constantly mistaken for Nepali (from the Rai ethnic group), so I decided to test it and walk into the holiest of temples with 5 kids in tow. The girls were midly apprehensive, and the whole area was teaming with police for crowd control purposes and to make sure tourists don't sneak by. But policeman after policeman just kept waving us through. We paid a lady to look after our shoes, and climbed the steps into the Temple of Lord Vishnu.

No photos are allowed in the temple, so these photos were taken outside.

We rang bells, and threw rice and tikka powder and flowers and rupees at shrines and lesser temples. We waved incense sticks and made wishes. As I was warning the girls on the danger of randomly throwing rupees, I was hit in the face by a random rupee, which I think, reinforced the point I was trying to make!

Making a wish. I hope we were all wishing for the same thing.

I think the funniest moment for me at Pashupathinath today, was when I noticed tourists taking pictures of the girls and I as we went about making puja; the crazy Nepali woman and her 5 kids. It took all my strength not to break out in a grin.

Another wonderful day here in Nepal.

Sending love,
Fi

No comments: