Thursday, October 30, 2008

Happy Birthday, Happy, Happy Birthday! Apsara!

Trying to calm down with Nancy Drew, while waiting for her party.


Apsara has been hanging out for her birthday ever since I arrived. Last night was her party at the house and today, she had a restaurant lunch with Kabita and two friends.

She couldn't stop bouncing before the party, and kept singing "Happy, happy, happy, happy birthday" to herself. She finally calmed herself down by flicking through the pages of the Nancy Drew book I had just given her and Kabita.

Admiring her birthday cake.

This birthday was particularly special for me. I was given the duty to walk the birthday girl into the room, where all her sisters were waiting, and I got the first bite of the first piece of cake, plus I got to hand Apsara her gifts.

This is something Kabita and Apsara have been doing for each other since they arrived at Papa's House, but Kabita pointed out yesterday that it is the mother's duty, and since I was here, and their mother, it was now my task to perform. It truly meant the world to me.


At La Dolce Vita. From left: Apsara. Cila, Kabita, Sita.

Today was Bhai Tikka. A special day where younger brothers are honoured here in Nepal. After the ceremony at the boys' house, Apsara, Kabita, Cila, Sita and I travelled to Thamel for pizza.

The hope was to have lunch at Fire and Ice but that was closed, as was the Roadhouse. We wandered over to La Dolce Vita and was treated to a wonderful lunch of pizzas, soup, garlic bread and spaghetti.

The waiters were attentive and very kind to all of us, chatting with the girls and I. I think this is definitely going to be a new favourite haunt!

Getting a taxi home was slightly tricky, since they were explaining to me that it was a festival, so they had a right to charge 3 times the normal rate. We managed to find a taxi for a reasonable price and headed home happily.


Kabita & Apsara
Sending a ton of love, as always,
Fi

No comments: