Sunday, December 23, 2007

Adrenaline Rush

Tonight was the first night I was truly scared while in Nepal. While conceptually we understood the current political climate was less than stable, our experiences to date have been nothing short of mundane.

As Fiona and I were walking back in the dark to the 2nd orphanage after saying our good nights at the 1st, I saw a pack of men approaching just as we arrived at the orphanage gate. The gate locks from the inside, and you have to wait for somebody to come let you in. I quickly rang the bell, hid Fiona behind me, and nonchalantly wielded her walking stick as the men drew closer.

The futility of my defense became ever apparent when it became obvious that it wasn't a pack a street thugs, but rather young Maoist soldiers (some looked as if they just hit puberty), all heavily armed with AK-47s and enough ammunition around their necks to rival Mr. T's jewelry. So there I stood, watching at least 100 soldiers (I kid you not) march pass, completely helpless should one decide that my presence was somehow offensive, praying for the gate to open.

The gate did open, and Fiona and I quickly slipped inside, without incident, but it did highlight that we weren't at Summer Camp. This is real life...How well would you react to armed rebels marching down your street in the middle of the night? Things we cannot fathom until it happens to us is just a simple reality to the locals. The ability to take a night time stroll with Fiona in Mountain View suddenly has a new appreciation.

Sorry for the lack of a picture, but I have nothing appropriate, and pulling out my camera at the time strangely didn't cross my mind.

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve....Sitting around watching Christmas movies and eating chocolates with the children is sure to lower my blood pressure back to normal levels.

Best to all,

Tom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom and Fiona,
Just read through all of your entries. Very well done and most enjoyable. Best wishes for a wonderful and memorable Christmas. Thanks don't begin to express our appreciation for all you are doing.
Best,
Peter

nancy said...

Hi Fiona and Tom,

Sending warm Christmas Wishes your way. I have enjoyed reading all your entries. The children sound so amazing. They are very fortunate to have such wonderful people as you and Tom. Your very much appreciated for everything your doing. Have fun and be safe.
Cheers.
Nurse Nancy